Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Calling ALL Recipe Lovers

Last year was the first year that I made almost an entire Thanksgiving meal by myself...twice! I knew I was going to have to take some risks because I chose mostly recipes that I had not tried before. When I told my mom I was going to do that she thought I was crazy.

I called some friends and got their favorite recipes and then I enlisted the help of my all time favorite recipe site: Allrecipes If you don't know about this site, then you should check it out.

I found a winner and have made it multiple times since then. I thought I would share this recipe with you- if you're a vegetarian you may have to get really creative with this recipe to enjoy it. It's the meat in this stuffing that really makes it tasty.



Awesome Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing

This recipe serves 10

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups cubed whole wheat bread
* 3 3/4 cups cubed white bread
* 1 pound ground turkey sausage
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 3/4 cup chopped celery
* 2 1/2 teaspoons dried sage
* 1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
* 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped
* 3/4 cup dried cranberries
* 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
* 1 cooked turkey liver, finely chopped
* 3/4 cup turkey stock
* 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F (175 degree C). Spread the white and whole wheat bread cubes in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, or until evenly toasted. Transfer toasted bread cubes to a large bowl.
2. In a large skillet, cook the sausage and onions over medium heat, stirring and breaking up the lumps until evenly browned. Add the celery, sage, rosemary, and thyme; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes to blend flavors.
3. Pour sausage mixture over bread in bowl. Mix in chopped apples, dried cranberries, parsley, and liver. Drizzle with turkey stock and melted butter, and mix lightly. Spoon into turkey to loosely fill.


I decided to omit the turkey liver just because it grossed me out. I still thought the recipe was amazing. If you would like to see the recipe from the site and change the serving size, then click the photo above.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and I KNOW that some of you have recipes that you and your family/friends look forward to eating this time each year. I would love some more recipes that are tried and true. If you have a family favorite for the holidays then please share the recipe (or share a link to it) in a comment.

Happy Cooking!


Now I am off to go add a few little goodies to the shop.

If you haven't entered the giveaway, then you can do it here. Only about 24 more hours to go!

0 comments:

Post a Comment